September 12, 2023
Whether you’re a seasoned professional or just starting your career journey, nailing an interview is the first step to securing your dream role!
Our wonderful team of experienced consultants have heard tonnes of feedback from both sides of the table over the years and we wanted to share our TOP do’s and don’ts for preparing for an interview!
If you have an interview coming up, learn from our expert insights and avoid common pitfalls to make your next interview a success!
- Get out, look at the product and range and what they do and buy it / try it. Immerse yourself in the brand / retailer
- Research values, purpose and culture
- Think about how you structure answers…..STARL (Situation, Task, Action, Result and Learning) for any competency is always the way to go.
- Review your CV to really be able to articulate your key achievements, ideally using the STAR technique
- Research the interview panel involved via LinkedIn – during the interview ask them why they joined the organisation & what do they like most about working there.
- Go through the job spec and your CV simultaneously and ensure you have plenty of examples prepared!
- Not have any questions prepared for them
- Waffle, being clear and succinct in any communication
- Over embellish on your CV, interviewers are always quick to point out the we vs I
- Go over time if asked to do a presentation in a specific time frame.
- Talk negatively about you previous employers – frame difficult situations, challenges faced and your reasons for leaving in a positive manner.
- Ask about working hours (no one likes this)